Monday, February 1, 2010

Movie Review: The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker

I was greatly disappointed by The Hurt Locker. While I haven't read any reviews, the review headlines hinted at a great movie. I've been hearing Oscar buzz on the internet and television. What I got was boring.

The Hurt Locker stars Jeremy Renner as Sergeant William James. It's his story, though there is not much story to it. James is a bomb disposal expert in Iraq. We see several episodes of him taking care of assorted bombs, ignoring safety for himself along the way to illustrate the film's clearly stated premise - War is a Drug. A few other incidents happen, allowing some additional action and trying to make us care by putting the characters at risk.

But we don't really care. We know little or nothing about the characters. They aren't challenged to change and don't change. There is no through story, just vignettes.

And in the end, I was not moved, except moved to boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment